Nothing lasts forever, and that includes the roof of your home. You have likely heard of the time, labor, and costs that go into replacing or repairing a roof. If you are in Greenville, and need roofing installation services, it is crucial to consider longevity and pick suitable materials for your climate.
Lucky for you, there are now many options for those looking to replace or install a new roof. Two of the most popular choices for homeowners are metal and shingle roofs.
Naturally, there are advantages and drawbacks to both. The roofers at Beemer Kangaroof are here to break everything down for you.
What to Expect from a Shingle Roofing Installation
Shingle roofs have been around a long time. Most of the homes you see have shingle roofing. And just as they have worked in the past, they will continue to work for homes in Greenville, for many years to come.
This type of roofing material is primarily asphalt, making these shingles very versatile. They enhance different architectural styles on the roof of your home. Additionally, they are also cost-effective and fire-resistant!
Right now, shingles are the most popular choice for roofing material. It is not difficult to find roofers for shingle roof repairs and replacements.
For example, Beemer Kangaroof has a highly-skilled team working with shingles. We can tell you the positives and negatives of having and working with shingle roofs.
Benefits of Shingles
Shingle roofs earned their status as the number-one roofing material for a reason. This type of roof offers homeowners a variety of advantages, including:
- Money Savings/Budget Friendliness – Perfect for immediate roofing repairs or replacement. Shingles offer an affordable and reliable option that will keep your home safe and insulated.
- Easy Installation, Repairs, and Replacement – Since so many roofs use shingles, it’s not hard to find replacement or repair materials for them. Once they are up, shingles are also easy to stand on, making installation and repairs comfortable for your roofers.
- Comprehensive Warranties – Warranties from manufacturers and installers tend to cover a lot of what could possibly go wrong with them, such as errors made while installing, wind damage (to an extent), and even algae growth
- Architectural Appeal – As a staple of American roofs for generations, you will find that the humble shingle can add a touch of elegance to your home. They come in several deep tones, ranging from light to dark, and they work with just about any home.
When you are looking for a solid, reliable roof replacement, shingles are the way to go. They look great and provide quality shelter from wind, weather, and the elements.
Disadvantages of Shingles
While shingles are a tried-and-true product, they aren’t the best option for everyone. Sometimes, they can cause issues for homeowners for the following reasons:
- Low Durability – Shingles really weren’t created to last. Although they can withstand the elements for some time, a shingle roof will wear and tear within 25 years of installation and require a lot of maintenance along the way.
- Long-term Costs – While these roofs are an excellent choice upfront, the amount of money you’ll spend to maintain and repair them (on top of a total replacement every 25 years) will far surpass the early savings.
- Energy Inefficiency – These roofs trap heat, which will force your HVAC system to work overtime in hot weather. Not only is this type of operation inefficient, but it also puts a strain on your energy bills.
They may not be a perfect choice, but many people prefer the warm, down-home style of the shingled roof.
What to Expect from a Metal Roofing Installation
Are you interested in being ahead of the curve when it comes to the next big thing? Because as far as roofing material goes, metal is the new kid in town. It is durable, lightweight, cost-effective (in the long run), and energy-efficient! Quite the resume for a roofing material.
If you decide to go in for a metal roof, the upfront cost is significantly more than it is for shingles. However, some might consider it to be a long-term investment since they can last (on average) for up to 50 years without being completely replaced.
If installing a metal roof sounds like it might be up your alley, it is also important to consider that only qualified professionals can install metal roofs. It is much harder to find a metal roofing installation expert than it is to find someone who can perform shingle roofing installation services.
Fortunately for residents of Greenville and surrounding areas, the team at Beemer Kangaroof is qualified to install both roofing materials, in addition to being capable of maintaining them for years to come.
Benefits of Metal Roofing
In addition to being an exceptionally durable material that is both lightweight and cost-effective, metal roofs offer even more benefits to their homes and homeowners, including:
- Energy Efficiency – Metal roofs provide both cooling and heating benefits to the home, saving you money when it comes time to pay heating and electric bills.
- Eco-Friendliness – Because the individual pieces are metal, they can be recycled as all metal can be, so no more wasted roofing material in the event of damage.
- Durability – It bears repeating that a metal roof is durable and can withstand all kinds of harsh weather like wind and snow, and also it is inherently fire-resistant
- Aesthetics – These roofs come in a variety of colors, are low-maintenance while still looking sharp, and also increase the value of your home.
Metal roofs are something that any savvy homeowner will seriously look into. They are not yet the most popular option, of course, but the crowd-pleasing shingle has a reason to keep an eye on metal. This roofing option might one day surpass it in terms of public approval.
Disadvantages of Metal Roofing
For as many benefits as metal roofs offer, they don’t come without some drawbacks. While metal roofs do offer a large variety of benefits, there is still reason to seriously consider whether it will work for you and your home. Some of these reasons include:
- Upfront Expenses – Not everyone has the funds on-hand that an initial metal roof installation requires. Metal roofing installations call for a significantly steeper upfront cost than a shingle roof installation.
- Oil Canning – This phenomenon produces a wavy, warped effect on metal roofs, and only qualified metal roofing experts can repair it. Oil canning doesn’t impact its functionality, but it does have a small impact on the appearance of your roof.
- HOA Restrictions – If you live in a community with a Homeowner’s Association (HOA), there may be guidelines that disallow metal roof installations due to their more modern appearance. It is advised to check with your HOA before scheduling a metal roof installation service.
- Insurance Cost – While it is true that metal roofs usually save homeowners money in the long term, sometimes insurance companies will put higher premiums on these homes due to the specialization of labor and product required for their repairs and upkeep.
While it’s true that the future is looking metal, there are still some serious things to think over before you dive headfirst into adding on a metal roof. Metal roofs will work out great for some people and not so great for others.
Shingles or Metal: Which One is Best?
Which roofing material is the superior choice? The warm and hometown feel of shingles or the industrial and indestructible appeal of metal? That answer is up to you.
With all of the roofing work we’ve done through the years, the team at Beemer Kangaroof can see the benefits in both shingles and metal roofs!
It is important to keep all of these upsides and downsides in mind while deciding on the best roofing choice for your home. Whatever option you think will work best for your home is the correct decision to make.
Looking for Roofers in Greenville?
Let’s face it, we have some beautiful homes here in Greenville. Our community is acclimated to experiencing old, southern charm at any home we visit.
Yet, we are not opposed to renovating and updating our houses in order to stay current with the times. We are always ready to upgrade into a better and more functional way of life.
Whatever side you fall on, whether you prefer it old school or new and fresh, Beemer Kangaroof is here to make sure that you get exactly what you want from your roof.
There are many ways to make a house beautiful. The roof is often an overlooked part of the house, and today we are here to help you increase the look and overall function of your home by installing a roof that will work for you.
We are here for those in and around Greenville, and look forward to providing you with your next roofing installation service.
Our roofers are ready and waiting, so go ahead and give us a call today. We hope to see you soon!